sayings, proverbs, maxims, anec
God does not punish with cane, but with small tricks.
God does not punish with cane, but with small tricks.
The strongest dog fucks.
The brushwood does not rustle if there is no wind.
Old is not the aged but who loses his/her purposes to live.
The way you treat animals is the mirror of your soul.
Sacks are recognized by their patches, humans by their friends.
Whoever gets mixed up in bran will be eaten up by swines.
- Every good Hungarian peasant starts the day with a kupica (pony) of pálinka (strong liquor).
Wisdom of people who stand above
First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then
First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then
- Labour is meant for stupid ones, wise people create. (Béni Ferenczy, world famous Hungarian sculptor)
- Do not take yourself too seriously. ( Zorán Sztevanovity, Hungarian musician of Serbish origin)
To write means to sit in judgement of yourself. (Ferenc Kállay,
It is easy for an impotent to be loyal. (Ferenc Kállay, Hungarian
Whoever joins swines will eat bran or starve to death. (László
Sun is seen from every roof. (János Pilinszky, Hungarian poet)
- The human race is getting more and more wild, animals look at them with tender fear. (Very rough translation of two lines of MihályVáci, Hungarian poet)
- Only after the last tree has been cut down; Only after the last fish has been caught; Only after the last river has been poisoned; Only then will you realize that money cannot be eaten. (Cree Indian Prophecy)
- He Who Loves A Pure Heart And Whose Speech Is Gracious Will Have The King For His Friend. (unknown for me)
- What a child learns about violence a child learns for life. (source unknown)
is the last refuge of a scoundrel".
"El patriotismo es el último refugio del canalla"
- Dr. Samuel Johnson
Added on 19.05.04:
- Nothing is more annoying than a low man raised to a high position. (? - might be said about Bush)
- No one can be a good officer who does not undergo more than those he commands. (Cyrus)
- Men think highly of those who rise rapidly in the world; whereas nothing rises quicker than dust, straw, and feathers. (Hare)
- No man is good enough to govern another man without that other's consent. (Lincoln) - What do you say, Bush?
- The gentleman understands what is right; the inferior man understands what is profitable.( Confucius)
- The gentleman makes demands on himself; the inferior man makes demands on others. (Confucius)
- Two heads are better than one. (English proverb)
- Humanitarianism consists in never sacrificing a human being to a purpose. (A. Schweitzer)
- I believe the first test of a truly great man is his humility (J. Ruskin)
- To handle yourself , use your head; to handle others, use your heart. (?)
- Some people have a perfect genius for doing nothing, and doing it assiduously. (Halliburton)
- He is not only idle who does nothing, but he is idle who might be better employed. (Socrates)
- I am not ashamed to confess that I am ignorant of what I do not know. (Cicero)
- Imagination is more important than knowledge. (A. Einstein)
- He who imitates what is evil always goes beyond the example that is set; on the contrary, he who imitates what is good always falls short. (Guicciardini) - Torture?!
- The injury we do and the one we suffer are not weighed in the same scale. (Aesop)
- Innocence finds not near so much protection as guilt. (La Rouchefoucauld)
- No excellent soul is exempt from a mixture of madness. (Aristotle)
- Insanity in individuals is something rare - but in groups, parties, nations and epochs it is the rule. (Nietzsche)
- An idle brain - the devil's workshop. (?)
- Judges are but men, and are swayed like other men by vehement prejudices. This is corruption in reality, give it whatever other name you please. (David Duddly Field)
- It ain't the things you don't know what gets you into trouble; it's the things you know for sure what ain't so. (Negro saying)
- Man is the only animal that laughs and weeps; for he is the only animal that is struck with the difference between what things are, and what they ought to be. (Hazlitt)
- Does man differ from other animals? Only in Posture. The rest are bent, but he is a wild beast who walks upright. (Philemon)
- Important principles may and must be flexible. (Lincoln) !!!!!
- It is more dangerous that even a guilty person should be punished without the forms of law than that he escape. (Jefferson)
- One man meets an infamous punishment for that crime which confers a diadem upon another. (Juvenal)
- You can't expect a person to see eye to eye with you when you are looking down on him. (?) !!!!!
- To know what is right and not to do is the worst cowardice. (Confucius)
- A truly rich man is one whose children run into his arms when his hands are empty. (?)
- Art is I; science is we. (C. Bernard)
- Zeal is very blind or badly regulated, when it encroaches upon the rights of other. (P. Guesnel)
Added on 26.09.06:
when I look at my children, I say to myself ~~"Lillian, you should
have remained a virgin."
Quotations about honesty
The best measure of a man's honesty isn't his income tax return. It's the
zero adjust on his bathroom scale.
3. (I believe my) „wisdom”:
If someone casts stone at you, throw thunderbolts at him.
Heroes do not die in wars, but suffer stroke in marriage.
Wisdom is the greatest force.
not expect a saint to be champion of sex.
me your toilet (W.C.) and I’ll know who you are.
is the salt of life.
and modesty are good brothers.
is a mirror of wisdom.
the most brutal oppressor calls himself saviour (and the most stupid
ones tend to believe they are, as does Bush).
is money, money distorts characters: never try to save time.
you believe you are absolutely right, you are absolutely wrong.
be loved when your love died away is like chewing sand.
are sick of power, they must be controlled by psychologists.
is the engine of development.
- National flags, anthems, insignia, marches disseminate hatred. The human race should get rid of all this rubbish.
We shall never be able to avoid wars unless we remove them from the national pantheons.
Politicians are unable to think and behave as human beings.
If your head swims, drink, you’ll forget about the original cause.
If the well of your neighbour is deeper and cleaner than yours, do
not jump into it, you may be drowned.
Even the most „righteous” victories are temporary. (My warning
European Union is definitely a bigger and cleaner dung-pit, than
our chamber-pot, I hope there will be space at least to swim. In our pot 4
pcs of shit try to swim in 8 directions and they are surprised that all
their attempts are finished in running their heads against the wall. (The
comparison is with Hungary.)
- Every death of poverty-stricken human beings is the shame of the whole human race!
- The sight of lay persons is dim. Politicians - since they suffer from multiple non-professionalism - are blind.
- Time and hair heal all wounds.
- Masses are stupid, but still wiser than their leaders.
- Democracy never existed. What we call democracy is a failure: it is based on the votes of stupid masses. Fighting for these stupid masses the even more stupid leaders - as a rule - commit stupidities.
- Of all ugly human institutions the worst is wife.
- Of all lovely human institutions the best is child.
- Translate the Hungarian szerelem with one word into your language and you'll understand life.
- Humiliation of a dictator is a brave step, humiliation of a nation is stupid, humiliation of a race is heinous crime.
- The USA is emerging nation - emerging from the status of a simple gendarme of the world to the throne of rude oppressors.
- Uniform is the best tool to convert human beings into animals.
- It is better to spend your time in a pub than to sit on your wife's skirt.
- Economic and political systems may change, stupidity and scoundrelism remain everlasting.
- Standing ovation is the best sign that a crazy dictator is the orator.
- He/she who is living on this Earth and believes he/she is sane, is insane!
- Absurd barriers generate absurd behaviour.
- Mojito, ergo sum!
- Hungarian Tokaji, Russian vodka and Czech beer could not be spoilt even by communism
4. Anecdotes (If I
know the source I indicate it in brackets) :
„A small grey sparrow is walking proudly in the dust of the street. A
cow, looking down
at her, drops her dung on the sparrow. The little
one is not feeling well under the dung and is trying to climb out.
cat notices the strangely moving dung, is trying to find out what is under
it, pulls the sparrow out and eats her up happily.
What are the lessons?
If you are a small grey sparrow and dung is dropped on you, better
The one who pulls you out of dung is not necessarily your friend.
c. The one who drops dung on you is not necessarily your enemy.
- TOILET HUMOR:
I was barely sitting down when I heard a voice from the other stall saying:
"Hi, how are you?"
I'm not the type to start a conversation in the men's restrooms at a rest stop but, I don't know
what got into me, so I answered, somewhat embarrassedly:
"Doin Just Fine!" - And the other guy says: "So what are you up to?"
What kind of question is that? At that point, I'm thinking this is too
bizarre so I say: "Uhhh I'm like you, just traveling east!"
At this point I am just trying to get out as fast as I can when I hear
another question. - " Can I come over to your place after while?"
OK, this question is just wacky but I figured I could just be polite
and end the conversation. - I tell him, "Well, I have company over
so today is a bad day for me!"
Then I hear the guy say nervously... "LISTEN!!! I'll have to call you back, there's an
4. And much more:
Jokaroo's quotes about marital life
"In my house I'm the boss, my wife is just the decision
The 10 Mistakes Most Men Make with Women
hope mine is a little bit better):
Is forbidden to steal hotel towels please. If you are not a person to do such thing is please no to read notis.
The lift is being fixed for the next day. During that time we regret that you will be unbearable.
Do not enter the lift backward, and only when lit up.
To move the cabin, push button for wishing floor. If the cabin should enter more persons, each one should press a number of wishing floor. Driving is then going alphabetically by national order.
Please leave your values at the front desk.
Visitors are expected to complain at the office between the hours of 9 and 11 a.m. daily.
The flattening of underwear with pleasure is the job of the chambermaid.
You are invited to take advantage of the chambermaid.
You are welcome to visit the cemetery where famous Russian and Soviet composers, artists, and writers are buried daily except Thursdays.
It is forbidden to enter a woman even if a foreigner if dressed as a man.
Special cocktails for the ladies with nuts.
We take your bags and send them in all directions.
If this is your first visit to the USSR, you are welcome to it.
Ladies are requested not to have children at the bar.
Please do not feed the animals. If you have suitable food, give it to the guard on duty.
Rome, Doctor surgery:
Specialist in women and other diseases.
Japan, Hotel :
Cooles and Heates. If you want just condition of warm in your room, please control yourself.
Tokyo, Car Rental:
When passenger of foot heave in sight, tootle the horn. Trumpet him melodiously at first, but if he still obstacles your passage then tootle him with vigor.
English well talking.
Not to perambulate the corridors in the hours of repose in the boots of ascensions.
Switzerland, Restaurant menu:
Our wines leave you nothing to hope for.
Poland, Restaurant menu:
Salad a firm's own make.
Hong Kong, Tailor:
Ladies may have a fit upstairs.
Bangkok, Dry cleaners:
Drop your trousers here for best results.
Paris, Clothes hire:
Dresses for street walking.
Rhodes, Clothes shop:
Order your summers suits. Because is big rush we will execute customers in strict rotation.
Russia, Tourist ofice:
There will be a Moscow Exhibition of Arts by 15,000 Soviet painters and sculptors. These were executed over the past two years.
It is strictly forbidden on our black fores camping site that people of different sex, for instance men and women, live together in one tent unless they are married with each other for that purpose.
Because of the impropriety of entertaining guests of the opposite sex in the bedroom, it is suggested that the lobby be used for this purpose.
Hong Kong, Dentist:
Teeth extracted by the latest methodist.
Ladies, leave your clothes here and spend the afternoon having a good time.
Prague, Tourist Office:
Take one of our horse-driven city tours. We guarantee no miscarriages.
Thailand, Donkey hire:
Would you like to ride on your own ass?
Special Today: no ice cream.
In case of earthquake, use the torch to pass yourself out.
Please abuse the manageress only between 11:00 and 12:00.
Spotted in a toilet of a London office:
TOILET OUT OF ORDER. PLEASE USE FLOOR BELOW.
In a Laundromat:
AUTOMATIC WASHING MACHINES: PLEASE REMOVE ALL YOUR CLOTHES WHEN THE LIGHT GOES OUT.
In a London department store:
BARGAIN BASEMENT UPSTAIRS
In an office:
WOULD THE PERSON WHO TOOK THE STEP LADDER YESTERDAY PLEASE BRING IT BACK OR FURTHER STEPS WILL BE TAKEN.
In an office:
AFTER TEA BREAK, STAFF SHOULD EMPTY THE TEAPOT AND STAND UPSIDE DOWN ON THE DRAINING BOARD.
Outside a secondhand shop:
WE EXCHANGE ANYTHING - BICYCLES, WASHING MACHINES, ETC. WHY NOT
BRING YOUR WIFE ALONG AND GET A WONDERFUL BARGAIN.
Notice in health food shop window:
CLOSED DUE TO ILLNESS
Spotted in a safari park:
ELEPHANTS PLEASE STAY IN YOUR CAR
Seen during a conference:
FOR ANYONE WHO HAS CHILDREN AND DOESN'T KNOW IT, THERE IS A DAY CARE ON THE FIRST FLOOR
Notice in a field:
THE FARMER ALLOWS WALKERS TO CROSS THE FIELD FOR FREE, BUT THE BULL CHARGES
Message on a leaflet:
IF YOU CANNOT READ, THIS LEAFLET WILL TELL YOU HOW TO GET LESSONS
On a repair shop door:
WE CAN REPAIR ANYTHING. (PLEASE KNOCK HARD ON THE DOOR - THE BELL DOESN'T WORK)